Farthest south on Fårö is Ryssudden.
A peaceful place that mostly consists of cobblestone fields with low cliffs of reef limestone with seastack-like parts. The area is grazed and the only plants that survive here are Tulkört (Vincetoxicum hirundinaria) and Fårsvingel (Festuca ovina).
Here you will find pine forest, bare limestone lands, barren cobblestone fields, moors, beach meadow and a peat bog. But also cloudberries, Spindelblomster (Listera cordata), figs and an English cemetery!
During 1853-1856, the Crimean War was fought, which was an armed conflict between Russia, then an empire, on the one hand, and an alliance of Great Britain & France.
Both the English and French fleets used Fårösund as a fleet base in the Baltic Sea.
In 1854, there was an outbreak of cholera.
At this stage, they wanted to establish a hospital at Broa, but Pastor Tranér, managed to allocate land on Ryssnäs where 2 hospitals and a cookhouse were built. And a dwelling for the doctor was also established.
In the strait between Bungeör and Ryssnäs cape an allied hospital ship ”Belle Isle” was anchored.
The dead among the Allied commanders were buried on land while the deceased crewmen were sunk in the sea.
The cemetery is fenced by fourteen granite blocks and an iron chain and houses twenty seven small burial mounds.
The inscription reads: “Approximately twenty English sailors who died of cholera in 1854 during the so-called Crimean War when Fårösund formed the basis of an Anglo-French naval unit rest here. Northwest of the cemetery a hospital was established. ”